People getting out more and having increasing interactions with others will lead to more COVID-19 cases in Wisconsin, the state’s health secretary said.

Wisconsin has seen a recent spike in coronavirus cases since Dem Gov. Tony Evers’ “safer-at-home” order ended. The Wisconsin Supreme Court blocked the extension Evers and DHS Secretary Andrea Palm had put in place.

“It is not surprising, as the state opens up more, that we will see increases in infections as more and more people come into contact with each other,” Palm said in an interview aired Sunday on “UpFront,” produced in partnership with WisPolitics.com.

Palm also said DHS is working closely with doctors at Children’s Wisconsin hospital on a rare inflammatory syndrome, believed to be related to COVID-19. It has been identified in seven Wisconsin children.

“This is certainly a new wrinkle in this virus and one that we have to be really vigilant in watching out for, so we can take care of our kids as quickly as possible,” she said.

“UpFront” host Adrienne Pedersen asked Palm about a state lawmaker’s call that she resign over her handling of the coronavirus crisis.

“This pandemic is pretty all-consuming. I get up every day, the mission of this agency is to protect and promote the health of the people of this state, and it is what we do, it’s what the team is doing,” Palm responded.

“It’s what we will continue to do. That’s what the people of this state expect us to do, and we are certainly committed to getting through this pandemic,” she said.

Also on the program, the president of the Wisconsin Restaurant Association said restaurants have seen a 70-95 percent drop in sales from prior years during the coronavirus shutdown.

While many restaurants are starting to re-open, Kristine Hillmer said 30 percent of restaurants could be forced out of business as part of the COVID-19-related economic fallout.

“It’s a very tough business right now. Our operators have really been through the wringer in the past couple of months,” Hillmer said.

In another segment, Meagan Wolfe, administrator of the Wisconsin Elections Commission, said elections officials are looking at late August or early September as a timeline for mailing out absentee ballot applications to 2.7 million registered voters in the state.

The Elections Commission, which took a preliminary vote last week to approve the plan, will finalize it at its June 10 meeting, she said.

President Trump has repeatedly raised fraud as his concern with mail-in voting.

Pedersen asked Wolfe about the potential for fraud. Wolfe indicated that fraud would not be a serious concern.

“With technology, we’re able to very closely track every single ballot,” she said.

See more from the program: http://www.wisn.com/upfront

Print Friendly, PDF & Email