Income Tax Filing Deadline is April 18

Wisconsin Department of Revenue officials remind you that free tax help is available to individuals with low to moderate income, seniors, and members of the military.

There are more than 200 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites across Wisconsin that offer free income tax filing assistance. Sites are staffed with trained volunteers that are ready to help prepare and file your tax return. Last year, these sites helped prepare 72,622 income tax returns.

To find free tax assistance sites in your area, call the DOR at 608.266.2486, or dial 2-1-1 to reach the United Way. You can also visit DOR’s and search the word VITA.

Below are the items you should bring with you to these volunteer sites:

  • Photo IDs for you and your spouse. Your spouse must come with you if you are married and filing jointly.
  • Legal names and social security cards for all taxpayers and dependents on your return
  • Copy of last year’s tax return, if available
  • All documents about the income you received during the year:
    • Wage statements (W-2s)
    • 1099s
    • Interest and dividend statement
    • Record of federal and state social security and SSI
    • Record of any Wisconsin Works payments
    • Mortgage interest statement
  • ACA Marketplace statement-Form(s) 1095A
  • Charitable donations
  • Signed rent certificate or property tax bill if you will file for the Homestead Credit
  • Your bank account numbers if you want your refund deposited directly into your account (these numbers can be found on a deposit slip)
  • Any tax documents you received in the mail, such as property tax receipts for any property taxes paid in 2016, tuition statement, closing agreement for home purchased or sold in 2016

Go to for more information and answers to common questions.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email