JANESVILLE – Less than 6 months after being re-elected with 65% of the vote, our new poll, conducted by national pollster Public Policy Polling, has found Paul Ryan’s standing in his district is being eroded by sustained organizing efforts and Ryan’s out-of-step positions. Our poll has found:
- Paul Ryan’s favorability rating stands at a diminished 49%-44%, while independents hold a net disapproval of -3% (46%-49%).
- Voters disapprove of Ryan’s TrumpCare plan by a 46%-37% margin (our poll was conducted prior to the release of the CBO numbers yesterday).
- Voters overwhelming demand that Paul Ryan hold a public town hall meeting. 83% of his constituents believe Paul Ryan should continue his tradition of holding public town halls for residents of his Congressional district, while only 11% do not hold that position.
- Ryan’s efforts to cut Social Security and Medicare are deeply unpopular in his district. Only 8% support cutting Social Security and Medicare, 11% believe these programs should be expanded, and 77% believe the current programs should be strengthened and protected.
- By a 50%-40% margin, voters in Wisconsin’s first congressional district want an independent investigation into Donald Trump’s connections to Vladimir Putin and Russian influence in our elections.
- 55% of voters oppose cutting funding to Planned Parenthood health centers in the district.
- 73% of voters oppose selling off national public lands, 55% oppose funding cuts to the Department of Interior, 60% oppose the EPA’s change to clean water rules, and 62% oppose funding cuts to clean up the Great Lakes.