Oshkosh, Wis. – The Wisconsin Historical Society placed the Fraternal Order of Eagles building (Oshkosh, Winnebago County) on the State Register of Historic Places.
The Fraternal Order of Eagles played an important role in the fraternal and social histories of Oshkosh. The Fraternal Order of Eagles exemplified the trends in civic engagement and the use of fraternal clubs as a springboard to social acceptance for immigrants, providing its members with social and business connections, and anchoring them to the larger civic network. The growth of the Fraternal Order of Eagles necessitated the construction of their own clubhouse, and their large membership attested to their standing in the community and their role in the social development of the community. The building is a beautiful example of Tudor Revival style architecture having an exceptionally intact interior featuring striking leaded glass windows, Tudor arches, textured plaster walls, fireplaces and ornate Tudor lighting fixtures. Once restored, the owners plan to return the building to community use.
The State Register is Wisconsin’s official list of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin’s heritage. The State Historic Preservation Office at the Wisconsin Historical Society administers both the State Register and National Register in Wisconsin.
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org.
About Wisconsin Historical Society
The Wisconsin Historical Society, founded in 1846, ranks as one of the largest, most active and most diversified state historical societies in the nation. As both a state agency and a private membership organization, its mission is to help people connect to the past by collecting, preserving and sharing stories. The Wisconsin Historical Society serves millions of people every year through a wide range of sites, programs and services. For more information, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org