Kenosha, Wis. – The Wisconsin Historical Society placed the Kenosha Elks Club (Kenosha, Kenosha County) on the State Register of Historic Places on August 18, 2017.
The Kenosha Elks Club, designed in the Georgian Revival style by Milwaukee based architect Robert A. Messmer, was constructed in 1919. This building had been the home of Kenosha’s Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, a community service-oriented organization committed to charity and patriotism, for nearly eight decades. Dedicated in 1919, the Kenosha Elks Club remains one of the city’s largest institutional buildings and served as a hub of Kenosha civic and social life until the building’s closure in the 1990s.
The State Register is Wisconsin’s official list of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin’s heritage. The State Historic Preservation Office at the Wisconsin Historical Society administers both the State Register and National Register in Wisconsin.
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org.