Contact: Bryan Kennedy – (414) 517-3864
(Milwaukee) — As “Pride Month” kicked off across Wisconsin and the world today, gubernatorial candidate Matt Flynn released his priorities for addressing the needs of LGBTQ+ Wisconsinites.
“I believe in equality for all,” said Flynn. “We need to celebrate the incredible diversity that exists in our state. I believe that every Wisconsinite deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. It is vital that we understand the specific concerns that LGBTQ+ people have; including discrimination in housing, education, and employment.”
LGBTQ+ people often face prejudice, hostility, rejection, discrimination, and hate crimes. Research shows that this treatment results in unreasonably higher levels of stress and concealment. Consequently, LGBTQ+ people, in general, suffer more physical and mental health problems, have less earning power, and experience a generally lower quality of life.
Scott Walker has worked actively to eliminate or limit the LGBTQ+ protections that do exist. This affects every Wisconsinite who is LGBTQ+, has an LGBTQ+ loved one, worships with LGBTQ+ people, or works with LGBTQ+ people.
The Walker Administration:
- Resisted marriage equality until it was appealed to the Supreme Court
- Cut employee heath insurance coverage for transgender individuals
- Actively blocked legislation to ensure equal access to resources and services for LGBTQ+ individuals
“I will work to end all discrimination in Wisconsin and ensure that Wisconsin becomes the fair, safe, and inclusive state in which LGBTQ+ people are treated with dignity and respect, that we all know it should be,” Flynn added.
Matt Flynn’s plan for Wisconsin:
- Work with the State Legislature to update Wisconsin’s nondiscrimination laws and administrative rules to include transgender and gender non-conforming individuals.
- Stand up to the federal government’s attacks on fair and equal treatment.
- Review all state policies to ensure that Wisconsin provides equitable protection for every person and gives everyone an equitable opportunity to work, raise a family, and live in a safe community.
- Direct the Group Insurance Board to reinstate full transgender health care to all workers covered by state insurance plans.
- Work with the Department of Public Instruction to initiate intensive education for all public school boards and personnel to ensure that all students are safe from bullying, threats, and violence based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Our goal is to see that LGBTQ+ students’ mental health responses to the YRBS are as positive as the general population.
- Ban “conversion therapy” centers, clinics, and practitioners in Wisconsin.
- Ensure that all the rights and privileges established by our federal and state constitutions, and the laws enacted under them, are guaranteed to our LGBTQ+ populations—safeguarding life, liberty, livelihood, and love for and among all of our residents now and forever.
- Appoint “out” LGBTQ+ individuals to positions of influence to diversify our state leadership and to ensure that Wisconsin follows through on these commitments.