CONTACT: Iris Riis
MADISON – On Thursday, Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin (PPWI) submitted its application for continued funding through Title X, the nation’s family planning program. This application would extend funding until the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) chooses the next grantee in September 2018.
“PPWI remains focused on providing high quality, affordable health care to our patients funded through Title X, other grants and insurance reimbursement for those who have it.” said Tanya Atkinson, President and CEO of PPWI. “Planned Parenthood has been a good steward of the Title X funds for more than 40 years and plays an indispensable role in serving the nearly 30,000 patients in Wisconsin who rely on Title X annually.”
As the direct grantee of Title X funds in Wisconsin, PPWI also fulfills a central administrative role in allocating some of the Title X grants to other qualified providers to broaden the reach of Title X funds.
Title X is meant to ensure that every person – regardless of where they live, how much money they make, their background, or whether or not they have health insurance – has access to basic, preventive reproductive health care, such as birth control, cancer screenings, STI testing and treatment, and well-woman exams.
Last month, HHS announced new priorities for Title X applicants that undermine the goals of the program and will negatively impact patient care. These priorities include preferential treatment for faith-based entities and providers that push natural family planning methods.
“These priorities show HHS is advancing the political agenda of ideologues who oppose birth control and responsible sex education, not listening to health care experts,” said Atkinson. “As HHS makes moves that put critical health care initiatives at risk, Planned Parenthood will focus on what we do best – providing patients with the health care they need.”