(202) 224 – 6225
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin, a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, today announced that she secured more than $17 million in additional emergency transportation funding from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for Wisconsin communities affected by severe floods and storms in 2016 and 2017.
This announcement comes after Senator Baldwin wrote to FHWA in February requesting this emergency transportation funding to help repair roads and bridges damaged by floods and severe storms over the past two summers. In 2016 and 2017, torrential rain and severe flooding damaged roads and bridges, homes and businesses across twenty-four counties in Wisconsin.
“Flooding and storms has severely damaged infrastructure and property in communities throughout Wisconsin. We must do more to ensure our neighbors have access to safe and reliable transportation,” said Senator Baldwin. “Today, I’m happy to announce more than $17 million will go towards helping Wisconsin communities come back stronger than ever.”
The funding breakdown is below:
Emergency Relief road and highway funding to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation:
- $1,166,215 for repairs in Bayfield, Sawyer, Ashland, Iron and Douglas Counties after July 2016 floods
- $563,300 for repairs in in Buffalo, Trempealeau and Eau Claire Counties after August 2016 severe storms and flooding
- $876,620 for repairs in Crawford, Vernon, Richland, Chippewa and Eau Claire Counties after September 2016 severe storms and floods
- $2,143,691 for repairs in Buffalo, Crawford, Dane, Grant, Green, Iowa, Jackson, Juneau, La Crosse, Lafayette, Monroe, Pepin, Richland, Rock, Sauk, Trempealeau and Vernon Counties for severe storms and flooding in July 2017
Emergency Relief funding for federally owned roads awarded to the Forest Service:
- $10,050,000 for repairs in Ashland, Bayfield, Sawyer, Price and Taylor Counties
Emergency Relief funding for federally owned roads awarded to the Bureau of Indian Affairs:
- $3,073,483 to repair tribal roads in Bayfield and Ashland Counties
An online version of this release is available here.