|EAU CLAIRE – Dana Wachs announced the fifth and final part of a week-long issues campaign called Week One. On Day Five, Wachs would launch the Achieve Wisconsin Initiative to make sure every student, no matter where they live or what their financial means are, has access to the same opportunities for education. It also seeks to provide relief for college graduates with crippling student loan debt.
“It’s simple. Every student should have the same opportunity to succeed if they work hard. It shouldn’t matter if their parents are poor or wealthy, if they live in a small town in northern Wisconsin or if they live Milwaukee or Green Bay. Every child should be able to get a high-quality education in our public schools. That isn’t just the right thing to do, it is the smart thing to do. The better educated our young people are, the better our economy will perform.
“We must also recognize that entire generations of folks in our state are suffocating under the weight of student loan debt. It keeps them from starting new businesses, starting families, buying homes, and more. If we are going to grow our economy, we must let these folks refinance their student loan debt similar to the way homeowners can refinance a mortgage. Gov. Walker’s “just-call-a-bank” line is out of touch.
“And we have to roll back Gov. Walker’s ludicrous mandates that tie the hands of our teachers and faculty. We need to respect and value education instead of belittling it. I will respect Wisconsin’s teachers, support our students, and take swift action to help us build the Wisconsin that will let every child achieve their dreams,” said Wachs.
The Achieve Wisconsin Initiative will:
- Restore Gov. Walker’s cuts to our public schools, the University of Wisconsin system, and Wisconsin’s technical colleges.
- Create a Wisconsin Badgers Achieve program to ensure that a technical college, two-year college or four-year university is within reach for any student who works hard and gets good grades.
- Resolve funding inequities between wealthy and low-income school districts and increase funding for schools in rural districts to make sure every child has the same opportunities to achieve no matter where in Wisconsin they live.
- Finally, allow Wisconsinites with college debt to refinance their student loans similar to the way millions of Americans are able to refinance their home mortgages.
- Increase access to quality early childcare programs throughout Wisconsin.
- Give our teachers and faculty the respect they deserve and remove the mandates that tie their hands and stifle innovation in education.
Wachs for Wisconsin will release a new initiative each day from January 8 through January 12, one year out from a new administration.
For more information, visit www.DanaWachs.com/weekone.