Donate to the Veterans Trust Fund on Your 2017 Income Tax Form
MADISON — The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) today encouraged taxpayers to consider making a monetary donation to the Veterans Trust Fund (VTF) by filling in the “Donations” line when filing their 2017 Wisconsin income tax form.
A donation to the VTF can help fund the following:
- Personalized assistance for veterans in each county;
- Services for homeless veterans;
- Job training for veterans;
- Mental health services and resources;
- Assistance with federal benefit claims and transportation to VA facilities;
- Emergency financial relief for veterans;
- Efforts such as suicide prevention training and Opioid Prevention and Awareness;
- And more!
Donations to the VTF are allowed as a federal itemized deduction. Any donations made to the VTF on your 2017 Wisconsin Income Tax form can be claimed on next year’s 2018 federal tax return. To claim a deduction for monetary donations, the money (1) must be donated to a tax-exempt organization, (2) the taxpayer must be able to itemize his or her deductions, and (3) the taxpayer must save a record of the transaction.
For more information on State of Wisconsin tax benefits for veterans and their family members, please visit: www.WisVets.com.