Contact: Kara O’Keeffe
Clintonville, Wis. – The Wisconsin Historical Society placed the Clintonville High School in Clintonville, Waupaca County on the State Register of Historic Places on May 18, 2018.
The Clintonville High School was constructed in 1918 with additions in 1951 and 1966. The building represents the history of education in the community as the first building dedicated solely for use as a high school and its additions exemplify the growth and continued expansion of the school. It is located on land donated for the purpose of educating Clintonville’s youth by the town’s namesake, Urial P. Clinton in the early 1870s. The history of the school incorporates the community’s response to rural school consolidation and each era of construction represents the educational philosophy for the era in which it was constructed.
The State Register is Wisconsin’s official list of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin’s heritage. The State Historic Preservation Office at the Wisconsin Historical Society administers both the State Register and National Register in Wisconsin.
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org.