For more information, contact:
Matt Dapp, WisDOT Project Manager
(608) 246-5353; [email protected]
WisDOT: Highway 19/113 intersection reconstruction is complete
Project designed to improve safety, traffic operations
The reconstruction project to improve safety and traffic operations at a high crash intersection in Dane County is substantially complete. Improvements to the WIS 19/113/County I intersection in the town of Westport include a double-lane roundabout, bypass lanes and new highway surface approaching the intersection.
The intersection is open to traffic. Minor finishing items are expected to be performed this week before removal of the construction barrels.
The $4 million project was funded by the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) to address the high number of crashes and reduce traffic congestion at the location. The project reduced the number of intersections from three to one.
Construction began in April. Edgerton Contractors, Inc. of Oak Creek, WI was the primary contractor.
Motorists are encouraged to be aware of the new intersection design and reduce speeds in the area. The posted speed limit in the roundabout is 15 miles per hour.
Additional tips for traveling through a roundabout:
- Slow down
- Watch for and obey traffic signs
- Following signage, move into the correct lane for your destination
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists as you enter and exit the roundabout
- Yield to all lanes of traffic on your left before entering
- Keep your speed low and stay in your lane (do not change lanes within the roundabout)
- Use your right-turn signal before exiting the roundabout
More information about roundabouts in Wisconsin can be found at www.wisconsindot.gov