MILWAUKEE — On Thursday, October 24, the Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee, the nonprofit civic organization responsible for organizing, hosting, and funding the 2020 Democratic National Convention, announced its official leadership structure, building on the announcement that Mayor Tom Barrett and Representative Gwen Moore are serving as Co-Chairs of the Host Committee.
The organization’s Honorary Chairs include Governor Tony Evers, Senator Tammy Baldwin, Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele, Former Senator Herb Kohl, Former Milwaukee Journal Sentinel President and Publisher Betsy Brenner, Community Volunteer Jacqueline Herd-Barber, Lubar & Co. Chairman Sheldon B. Lubar, Northwestern Mutual Chairman, President, and CEO John E. Schlifske, and Major League Baseball Commissioner Emeritus Bud Selig.
“Wisconsin residents of all ages and from all backgrounds will feel the impact of the 2020 Democratic National Convention. That’s why it is critical that this leadership team advocates for the best interests of the entire state. I look forward to working together to ensure we make the most of this incredible opportunity,” said Tony Evers, Governor of Wisconsin.
“Years down the road, we will look back on the 2020 convention as a critical moment in the history of Milwaukee and our state as a whole. As members of the Host Committee, we will work to put in place a model that allows both the city and state to thrive for decades to come,” added Tammy Baldwin, Senator from Wisconsin.
In addition, several elected officials from across the state of Wisconsin are serving as Honorary Vice Chairs of the Host Committee. These officials include Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes, State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski, Attorney General Josh Kaul, Secretary of State Doug La Follette, Representative Ron Kind, Representative Mark Pocan, State Senate Democratic Leader Jennifer Shilling, State Assembly Democratic Leader Gordon Hintz, and Milwaukee Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton. Milwaukee Bucks Senior Vice President Alex Lasry is serving as Honorary Finance Chair.
“The 21 members who make up the Host Committee’s leadership structure embody the best of Wisconsin — strong, hardworking, and resilient. The 2020 Democratic National Convention would not be coming to Milwaukee had it not been for their tireless efforts, and it’s an honor to have their support and guidance as we work to make a lasting, positive impact on Milwaukee and the entire state of Wisconsin,” said Liz Gilbert, President of the Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee.
Members of the Host Committee represent constituencies and industries from across the state whose collective feedback will inform the efforts of Host Committee staff and ensure that the impact of the convention is spread throughout the region. They will serve in a volunteer capacity and will not receive payment for their work.
The Host Committee is also governed by a Board of Directors, which ensures that decisions reflect the best interests of the community. Members of the Board include Rebeca López, Attorney at Godfrey & Kahn, S.C., John W. Miller, Founder and Principal at Arenberg Holdings, Michael O’Neil, General Counsel at The Dohmen Company, Dr. Joan Prince, Vice Chancellor of Global Inclusion and Engagement at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and Liz Gilbert, President of the Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee.
The Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee Leadership Structure (in alphabetical order by last name) :
- ● Chris Abele, County Executive of Milwaukee County
- ● Tammy Baldwin, Senator from Wisconsin
- ● Mandela Barnes, Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin
- ● Tom Barrett, Mayor of the City of Milwaukee
- ● Betsy Brenner, Former President and Publisher of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- ● Tony Evers, Governor of Wisconsin
- ● Sarah Godlewski, State Treasurer of Wisconsin
- ● Ashanti Hamilton, President of the City of Milwaukee Common Council
- ● Jacqueline Herd-Barber, Community Volunteer
- ● Gordon Hintz, Democratic Leader for the Wisconsin State Assembly
- ● Josh Kaul, Attorney General of Wisconsin
- ● Ron Kind, Representative of Congress
- ● Herb Kohl, Former Senator from Wisconsin
- ● Doug La Follette, Secretary of State of Wisconsin
- ● Alex Lasry, Senior Vice President of the Milwaukee Bucks
- ● Sheldon B. Lubar, Chairman of Lubar & Co.
- ● Gwen Moore, Representative of Congress
- ● Mark Pocan, Representative of Congress
- ● John E. Schlifske, Chairman, President, and CEO of Northwestern Mutual
- ● Jennifer Shilling, Democratic Leader for the Wisconsin State Senate
- ● Bud Selig, Commissioner Emeritus of Major League Baseball
The Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee Board of Directors (in alphabetical order by last name) :
- ● Liz Gilbert, President of the Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee
- ● Rebeca López, Attorney at Godfrey & Kahn, S.C.
- ● John W. Miller, Founder and Principal at Arenberg Holdings
- ● Michael O’Neil, General Counsel at The Dohmen Company
- ● Dr. Joan Prince, Vice Chancellor of Global Inclusion and Engagement at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee