Contact: Kate Constalie,608-266-5490
MADISON, WI – As Legislative Republicans continue their effort to overturn key Affordable Care Act (ACA) protections, Senate Democrats are urging immediate action to protect vital services and coverage. Senator Jon Erpenbach (D-Middleton) has introduced The Comprehensive Health Care Protection Bill that would safeguard children, families and seniors.
“For the past eight years Legislative Republicans have made it their mission to undermine the health care marketplace, limit access to coverage and protect the profits of wealthy insurance executives,” said Senate Democratic Leader Jennifer Shilling (D-La Crosse). “Local families I’ve heard from say they can’t afford more out-of-pocket costs, especially those with pre-existing conditions and seniors living on a fixed income. Senate Democrats are committed to working with legislative leaders and Gov. Evers to put the health and wellbeing of Wisconsin residents first, protect the Affordable Care Act, expand Badgercare.”
The Comprehensive Health Care Protection Bill includes the following provisions:
· Prohibit insurance companies from discriminating based on a person’s pre-existing condition.
· Prohibit lifetime and annual limits under health policies and plans.
· Require coverage of and prohibit cost sharing for preventive services under health insurance policies and plans.
· Require health insurance policies to cover essential health benefits specified by DHS with limits on cost sharing.
· Require health plans to permit enrollment regardless of health status or gender.