As the COVID-19 pandemic and economic recession continues to ravage the state of Wisconsin, statewide faith leaders from the “Faithful Action for a Healthy Wisconsin” coalition are meeting with State Senate and Assembly leadership to discuss the need to pass legislation and public safety measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 and protect those most vulnerable in the ongoing economic recession.
“Faithful Action for a Healthy Wisconsin” demands a clear public message from elected officials on both sides of the aisle: “Stop the COVID Spread.” Beyond united messaging, this coalition of faith leaders is calling for:
- Improved resources for frontline workers, including hazard pay and paid sick leave, improved equipment and PPE gear, and additional testing supplies.
- Increased funding and support to local governments to expand free COVID-19 testing and provide food and housing security.
- Increased access and expanded eligibility for unemployment benefits.
- Institute a statewide mask mandate through the Legislature.
- Finally, in response to Speaker Vos’s recent proposal, “Faithful Action for a Health Wisconsin” urges the Legislature to refrain from prohibiting DHS or local health departments from making determinations regarding closing or limiting capacity of schools, businesses, houses of worship, and other public accommodations.
“As Wisconsinites, we are called to protect our neighbors and our communities during these difficult times, and as faith leaders we have an obligation to take action and speak out against our elected officials’ inadequate response to these crises” says the coalition “We think that our legislative asks are effective, bipartisan steps that the Legislature can take to slow the spread of COVID-19, protect our frontline workers, and ensure we care for those most vulnerable to this ongoing recession and COVID-19 pandemic.”
Faithful Action for a Healthy Wisconsin is led by Wisconsin Faith Voices for Justice, Wisconsin Council of Churches, Lutheran Office for Public Policy in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Council of Rabbis, and WISDOM. Our members include faith leaders from the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Buddhist traditions.