MADISON — State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor today congratulated eight Wisconsin schools for receiving a national honor recognizing academic excellence or making strides toward closing achievement gaps.
The U.S. Department of Education announced Thursday all eight schools Stanford Taylor nominated for the 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools Program in February were selected to receive the honor.
“Congratulations to the schools chosen as 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools,” State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor said. “The educators and staff at these schools have shown tireless dedication in supporting students and helping set them up for success. These schools serve as examples of the progress we are making as a state in improving student outcomes.”
Wisconsin’s 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Maple Dale Elementary School, Maple Dale-Indian Hill School District
- Lake Delton Elementary School, School District of Wisconsin Dells
- Altoona Intermediate School, School District of Altoona
- Nicolet Elementary School, Menasha Joint School District
- Lake Superior Elementary School, School District of Superior
- Red Apple Elementary School, Racine Unified School District
- E.W. Luther Elementary School, School District of South Milwaukee
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary School, Wausau School District
The eight Wisconsin schools are among 367 schools across the nation being recognized as part of the program, which honors top-performing schools based on academic performance and achievement. Schools were nominated by Stanford Taylor in February for being identified in one or both of the following categories, based on Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction data: 1) “Exemplary High Performing Schools” that score in the top 15 percent on state assessments; or 2) “Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools” that score in the top 15 percent on the “Closing Gaps” priority area of Wisconsin’s school report cards. The eight nominees completed an application and review process before being selected as 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools. An awards ceremony will be held virtually on Nov. 12 and 13.
For photos and more information on the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program, visit the USDE’s webpage at https://www.ed.gov/nationalblueribbonschools.