(WISCONSIN) — Donald Trump’s failed response to the COVID-19 pandemic has caused needless pain and suffering for Wisconsinites. In an op-ed for The Cap Times, Rick and Laurie Engen document the painful loss of Rick’s brother to the coronavirus. This pandemic is truly a matter of life and death, and the question is how many more lives will be lost because of Trump’s ineffective leadership.
KEY POINTS BELOW:
- I recently had to say goodbye to a loved one for the wrong reason — my brother lost his life to COVID-19 just over a month ago. As my wife and I continue to mourn for him, it’s hard to accept that his death was preventable.
- Like most Americans, we watched with horror as the death toll climbed and President Trump continuously dismissed the seriousness of this virus.
- He dominated our TV with statements that disregarded the guidance of scientists and doctors, that promoted ridiculous treatment like drinking household cleaning supplies, and even claimed that somehow COVID-19 would just disappear on its own.
- I truly believe the only way to end this national nightmare and get our lives back is to elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to the White House.
- This isn’t about Democrats or Republicans — it’s about the simple fact that they actually listen to the experts, accept the realities of the pandemic, and care about keeping us safe.
- Not one more person — like my brother — should have to perish due to irresponsibility from our leaders. But as we see Trump continue to hold in-person campaign events, failing to get needed supplies to the right people, and refusing to do simple things like wearing a mask, I’m worried that things will get worse before they get better. We are frightened that despite our best efforts we will get infected or more of our loved ones will.
- I’m a pastor, and until recently, since the outset of the pandemic we have not held in person church events. Now my church follows very strict guidelines to protect everyone from getting sick.
- My wife, who has diabetes and a heart issue, has left our house roughly a dozen times since March 1 — all for doctors appointments. She has had open heart-valve surgery as well as an atrial flutter, making her far more susceptible to getting sick and dying from COVID-19.
- We have done everything right — we have done our duty as fellow citizens, so our simple question to President Trump is this: why can’t you?