(WAUKESHA, WI) – On Saturday, May 15, members of the public are invited to take action against the opioid crisis and mental health stigma at the 7th Annual Jump for Archie. This year’s event has expanded to include yoga and a 988 5k Suicide Prevention Walk/Run in the Oconomowoc Village Green (105 N Main St), in addition to trainings, community resources, and a free benefit concert at Oconomowoc City Beach (324 W. Wisconsin Ave). Live music, food and a fun community atmosphere will accompany a candlelight vigil; free Naloxone and suicide prevention trainings; public group jumps into Lac La Belle; and resources on addiction, mental health and suicide prevention. Event information is available at: https://savingothersforarchie.com/.
“Now, more than ever, it’s important to bring awareness to mental health and substance use, and to help everyone understand how they can take action to help themselves or loved ones who are impacted,” said Waukesha County Executive Paul Farrow. “The Jump for Archie helps provide a positive, visual way to show support while encouraging people to have these conversations without fear of stigma.”
Events on the Green:
- 9:30 AM: Rosary prayer by the Knights of Columbus
- 11:00 AM: Yoga on The Green with Abundant Joy & Wellness
- 2:00 PM: 988 5K Suicide Prevention Walk/Run. Over 300 participants have registered. Register here.
Events at City Beach Bandshell:
- Noon: Question Persuade and Refer (QPR) Suicide Prevention Training (register on-line)
- 3:00 PM: Race awards presentation and resource wellness fair begins
- 3:30 PM: NARCAN Training (register on-line)
- 4:00 PM: SOFA Jump for Archie Presentation
- 4:30 PM: A series of group “jumps” into Lac La Belle will begin, to give members of the public, first responders, individuals living in recovery, and friends and family of suicide survivors the opportunity to take action against the opioid/suicide crisis and mental health stigma. Jumps include: Recovery jump, elected officials and state leaders jump, first responders/police officers jump, mental health awareness jump, and the Jump for Archie and others.
- 5:30 PM: Candlelight Remembrance Vigil
- 6:30 PM: Free Benefit Concert Featuring international performer Jenn Bostic & American Idol contestant, Jackson Snelling. Curated by Matt Spransy of the Magic Mansion