Madison, WI – Yesterday, Governor Tony Evers vetoed five bills that sought to protect the unborn. One of those bills was SB 503, which would require the state of Wisconsin to pursue the decertification of abortion clinics and their affiliates from the state’s Medical Assistance program (Medicaid). In response to Gov. Evers’ veto, Senator Duey Stroebel (R-Saukville) provided the following statement:

“For two legislative sessions in a row, Governor Evers has pandered to abortion activists in vetoing a bill that would prevent Wisconsin taxpayers from continuing to subsidize the operations of organizations that engage in the elimination of the unborn.”

“Governor Evers and others in the pro-abortion camp rolled out the same misleading rhetoric in characterizing SB 503 as an affront to ‘reproductive healthcare’, but Wisconsinites should not be fooled by such a blatant misnomer. Look no further than Planned Parenthood’s most recent annual report, where you’ll learn abortion, contraception and STD testing made up 80 percent of all services performed. Women’s health services such as prenatal care, cancer screenings, wellness visits and adoption referrals were part of the remaining 20 percent. Wisconsin has over 120 federally-qualified health centers that women can turn to in order to receive actual women’s health care services.”

“Yesterday’s veto of SB 503 ensures the abortion industry can continue to free up money from non-government sources and profit from robbing others of the opportunity to live. This stands as yet another blow to the unborn and Wisconsin taxpayers under the watch of Governor Evers.”

Sen. Duey Stroebel (R-Saukville) represents the 20th Senate District, which is comprised of portions of Ozaukee, Washington, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan and Calumet counties.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email