Sen. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills) 608-266-5830
Sen. Duey Stroebel (R-Saukville) 608-266-7513
Madison – Voters in Wisconsin shouldn’t have questions about whether their vote counts or that the process is consistent for everyone. That’s why Senators Alberta Darling and Duey Stroebel are introducing 10 bills aimed at restoring trust and integrity in our elections. Senator Darling says there are bipartisan concerns over how elections are managed.
“Our right to vote is a shared and sacred right. However, far too many people have sincere concerns about our electoral system,” Darling said, “These bills will help restore trust and make sure our elections are handled fairly for everyone.”
“Public confidence in our elections is at a crisis point,” Stroebel said, “These bills are about restoring confidence in our elections. We must ensure uniformity of process and transparency of conduct so all voters, regardless of political belief, trust the final outcome.”
Senator Darling and Senator Stroebel’s Bills
- Ballot Security Act: State law doesn’t allow for the use of dropboxes, even though many were used in the 2020 election. This bill will make sure drop boxes are a safe and secure option for voters.
- Election Observer Protection: Will make sure the public has equal access when observing the election process.
- Ballot Integrity Act: Reinforces state law that says voters, not clerks should fix any errors on a ballot.
- Standardizing Absentee Ballot Requests: Everyone who votes absentee in Wisconsin will fill out the same form.
- Security of Returned Absentee Ballots: Clarify that a family member, guardian, or non-candidate, unpaid designee for those without family may return completed absentee ballots for others. A designee may only return one non-family member’s ballot per election.
- Prohibiting Private Funding of Elections: Direct any non-government entity seeking to donate funds or resources for election administration to send the money to the Elections Commission, which distributes the money on a per-capita basis statewide.
- Absentee Ballot Uniformity: Ensure that all absentee voters who possess a photo ID present that ID in order to receive an absentee ballot.
- WEC Meeting Minutes Transparency: Require the Elections Commission to publish their meeting minutes (to include votes taken and motions considered) on their state website.
- Long-term Care Facility Voter Integrity: Ensure family members know when voting occurs in long-term care facilities and nursing homes, prohibit any employee of such a facility from influencing a resident’s decision to vote or not vote.
- Indefinitely Confined Voter Reform: Require statements of indefinite confinement to be made under oath with penalties for false statements, clarify that a pandemic does not grant indefinitely confined status.
Senators Darling and Stroebel are currently seeking co-sponsors for the bills.
Senator Darling represents portions of Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, and Waukesha Counties. Senator Stroebel represents portions of Ozaukee, Washington, Fond du Lac, Calumet, and Sheboygan Counties.