GREEN BAY, WI – Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI), co-chair of the Cyberspace Solarium Commission (CSC), today met with Microsoft President and Vice Chair Brad Smith, along with local business leaders, educators, and students to discuss ongoing efforts to strengthen cybersecurity in Northeast Wisconsin. The visit showcased the success local public-private partnerships have had in increasing local cyber education and protecting small businesses in the community.
“Small businesses have been increasingly targeted by cyber criminals. It’s imperative that these businesses and their employees have the resources and knowledge to combat these threats,” said Rep. Gallagher. “Today, we saw firsthand how companies and schools are working together to improve cyber hygiene and ensure our workforce has the skills it needs to succeed in the 21st century. Thanks to the work of people like Brad Smith, TitleTown Tech’s Craig Dickman and Jill Enos, Howard-Suamico Superintendent Damian Lacroix, Bayport High School teacher Chad Behnke, and so many other organizations, there are some incredible things happening right in our own backyard.”
“Through the combined efforts of the government, private sector, and the nonprofit community, we can address the shortage of cybersecurity professionals. That is what is happening in Northeast Wisconsin, with organizations such as Gener8tor and Titletown Tech and with leaders such as Congressman Gallagher. From growing the pipeline of computer science education to providing opportunities for skilling and credentialing, we can ensure the local workforce has access to cyber education, ” said Brad Smith, President and Vice Chair, Microsoft.
During their visit, Gallagher and Smith joined a meeting between local businesses and the CSC that addressed cyber threats to small and medium-sized businesses, toured Bayport High School and met with a computer science class, and hosted a roundtable with local companies and schools on ways to strengthen Northeast Wisconsin’s cyber workforce.
- Craig Dickman, Managing Director, TitleTown Tech
- Jill Enos, Managing Director, TitleTown Tech
- Damian LaCroix, Superintendent, Howard-Suamico School District
- Dr. Becky Walker, Assistant Superintendent, Howard-Suamico School District
- Mike Frieder, Principal, Bayport Highschool
- Chad Behnke, Computer Science Teacher, Bayport Highschool
- Rebecca Deshane, VP Talent Development, New North
- Jeff Dickert, President, CESA 7
- Joe Kirgues, co-Founder, Gener8tor
- Jeff Rafn, President, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
- Michael Alexander, Chancellor, UW Green Bay
- Jim Henderson, Chancellor, UW Whitewater
Click HERE for photos and videos available for broadcast and distribution.