WASHINGTON, D.C. – Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) today released the following statement regarding a new House Foreign Affairs Committee report
that shows the CCP covered up the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan, which likely began at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
“I commend Rep. McCaul for his work to uncover the origins of COVID-19, pushing forward despite Democrat obstruction. His new report outlines the role Peter Daszak played in spreading disinformation during the critical early days of the pandemic. As evidence mounts in favor of the lab-leak hypothesis, Congress should use every tool at its disposal to understand what happened in Wuhan, why the intelligence community missed it, and how U.S. taxpayer dollars funded dangerous gain-of-function research in Wuhan. Issuing a subpoena to Peter Daszak is an obvious and appropriate next step to get these answers.”
Rep. Gallagher has led the charge in investigating the origins of COVID-19. In recent months, he has:
- Demanded answers on whether U.S. taxpayer dollars funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology,
- Highlighted how Dr. Fauci is not being forthcoming about the government’s support of gain-of-function research in Wuhan,
- Introduced legislation to declassify all the relevant intelligence surrounding the lab-leak hypothesis,
- Called on U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin to release information regarding a cluster of illnesses associated with the October 2019 World Military Games in Wuhan,
- Introduced legislation to sanction CCP officials and scientists for lack of COVID-19 transparency,
- Testified before the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis about the origins of COVID-19,
- Outlined Democrats lack of urgency to hold the CCP accountable for its coverup, and
- Explained why understanding the origins of COVID-19 should matter to all Americans.