MADISON, Wis.—Edmund Manydeeds III, President of the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents, and Tommy Thompson, President of the UW System, today appointed a 21-member Search and Screen Committee to help identify the next UW-Madison chancellor.
Current Chancellor Rebecca Blank has been serving in that position since July 2013. She is leaving UW-Madison next summer to become President of Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill.
Regent Vice President Karen Walsh will chair the Search and Screen Committee. Susan Hagness, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Department Chair, will be vice chair. Other members of the committee are:
- Amy Blumenfeld Bogost, Regent
- Jon Eckhardt, Associate Professor, School of Business
- Ndemazea Fonkem, Student
- Gail Ford, Director, PEOPLE Program, Division of Diversity, Equity, and Educational Achievement
- Robert Golden, Dean, School of Medicine and Public Health
- Luis Gonzalez-Quizhpe, Student
- Erik Iverson, Chief Executive Officer, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation
- Mike Jones, Regent
- Tracey L. Klein, Regent
- Aerin Leigh Lammers, Student
- Edmund Manydeeds III, Regent President
- John W. Miller, Regent
- Adena Rissman, Professor, Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology
- Ananth Seshadri, Professor and Department Chair, Department of Economics
- Jack Salzwedel, Community Representative
- Mike Shannon, Community Representative
- Samantha Skenandore, Community Representative
- Lisa Walters, Administrative Manager, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
- Anja Wanner, Professor and Department Chair, Department of English
“Choosing a chancellor for Wisconsin’s flagship public university is one of the most important decisions anyone can make,” Manydeeds said. “Chancellor Blank has done a tremendous job, and I anticipate her successor will build on her many accomplishments.”
“This committee includes a cross-section of campus, community, and Regent representatives that will keep the best interests of the university and the state in mind during this process,” Walsh said. “We are well aware of the awesome responsibility we have.”
The Search and Screen Committee is expected to convene in December, when Manydeeds will charge the committee with its mission and review search procedures. The national search will officially begin in January. A team of staff from UW System Human Resources, the Office of the Board of Regents, and the executive search firm of AGB Search will assist the committee throughout this search process.
The committee will determine and interview candidates. A Special Regent Committee will review candidates forwarded by the Search and Screen Committee. The Special Regent Committee will include Regents Bogost, Jones, Klein, Miller, and Walsh and will be chaired by Manydeeds.
The successful candidate will require the approval of the full Board of Regents.