For our state’s economy to work for everyone, Wisconsin needs to invest in healthy communities, working families, and public infrastructure across the entire state.
The budget that Governor Evers has proposed would move Wisconsin closer to the goal of a better, more equitable economy. We’ve reviewed the budget proposed by Governor Evers, and prepared summaries that explain in plain language what the budget means for immigrant communities, people pursuing higher education, and anyone who wants to make sure that Wisconsin residents stay healthy.
Here’s what we found:
- Immigrant communities: Governor Evers has proposed a budget that removes barriers to driver licenses for undocumented immigrants, allows undocumented students to qualify for in-state tuition, and provides additional resources for English language learner services in K-12 schools. Read more.
- Higher education: Governor Evers has proposed a budget that makes college more affordable and expands mental health resources on campus. Read more.
- K-12 education: Governor Evers has proposed a budget that significantly increases support for Wisconsin’s public schools, targets additional resources at identified needs, promotes racial equity, and limits the amount of public money that goes to private schools. Read more.
- Taxes: The Governor’s budget proposes significant changes in tax policy, including closing income tax loopholes that favor the rich and powerful, and increasing tax credits for low-income households. These changes enable the budget to make large investments that will improve our state’s long-term prosperity, while also creating a tax system that provides a more level playing field for Wisconsin businesses and individuals. Read more.
- Health care: Governor Evers has proposed an ambitious budget for health care that increases access to care and coverage by expanding BadgerCare, increases funding for hospitals and other providers, invests in maternal and infant health and health equity, and provides more support for public health. Read more and watch our one-minute video on why expanding BadgerCare is a win-win for all Wisconsin residents.
Go to our 2021-23 budget page for these summaries as well as links to other resources, including a guide on how Wisconsin gets and spends its public resources, an agenda for creating a path to an equitable economy, and a recording of a webinar on how the Governor’s budget would expand racial equity.