Baraboo, WI. – The Wisconsin Historical Society announces the listing of the Baraboo Chicago & North Western Depot and Division Offices in Baraboo, Sauk County, on the State Register of Historic Places.
The Baraboo Chicago & North Western Depot and Division Office is the only surviving building representing railroad transportation in Baraboo. The Chicago & North Western Railway was one of the leading employers in Baraboo into the 1920s. From its opening in 1902 until 1933, the Baraboo Depot was the center of railroad activities along a 219-mile section of the line that stretched from northern Illinois nearly to La Crosse. Personnel in the division offices monitored and facilitated train movements, planned timetables, designed rail improvements, and repaired engines and rolling stock for all the stations in the division. At the same time, the Baraboo Depot served passenger and freight traffic.
The Baraboo Depot was designed by Charles Sumner Frost and Alfred Hoyt Granger whose Chicago-based architectural firm designed more than 200 stations for the Chicago & North Western Railway.
The Fuldner Heritage Fund paid for the preparation of this nomination. This endowed fund, created through a generous donation by the Jeffris Family Foundation and administered by the Wisconsin Historical Society, supports the nomination of historically and architecturally significant rural and small-town properties.
The State Register is Wisconsin’s official list of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin’s heritage. The State Historic Preservation Office at the Wisconsin Historical Society administers both the State Register and National Register in Wisconsin.
Additional information for this house is available at https://wisconsinhistory.org/
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org.