La Crosse, WI. – The Wisconsin Historical Society announces the listing of Fire Station No. 5, La Crosse, La Crosse County, on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fire Station No. 5 is the earliest and longest-serving fire station in La Crosse. It represents the transition from horse-drawn engines to motor vehicles, reflecting successive eras in firefighting. This firehouse was built in 1895 as part of a municipal effort to provide fire protection to the expanding city. Today it remains as the oldest extant firehouse in La Crosse and the only fire station representing the transition from horse drawn engines to motor vehicles. The station was the last firehouse in the city to stop using fire horse brigades and changes made to the building reflect changes in technology and equipment.
The National Register is the official list of historic properties in America deemed worthy of preservation and is maintained by the National Park Service in the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Wisconsin Historical Society administers the program within Wisconsin. It includes sites, buildings, structures, objects and districts that are significant in national, state or local history, architecture, archaeology, engineering or culture.
Additional information for this house is available at https://wisconsinhistory.org/
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org.
About the Wisconsin Historical Society
The Wisconsin Historical Society, founded in 1846, ranks as one of the largest, most active and most diversified state historical societies in the nation. As both a state agency and a private membership organization, its mission is to help people connect to the past by collecting, preserving and sharing stories. The Wisconsin Historical Society serves millions of people every year through a wide range of sites, programs and services. For more information, visit wisconsinhistory.org.