The News: The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty (WILL) policy team is releasing its analysis of Governor Tony Evers’ 2021-23 state budget proposal. The WILL policy brief succinctly summarizes spending increases, program expansion, attacks on education and worker freedom, and misguided expansions of government-run healthcare.
- Read WILL’s new state budget analysis here.
The Quote: WILL Policy Director, Kyle Koenen, said, “A state budget proposal can clearly identify an administration’s values and priorities. Governor Evers’ state budget proposal expands government, raises taxes, and attacks the rights of families and workers to make critical choices that affect their lives and their futures.”
Diving Deeper: Governor Evers’ budget proposal represents a laundry list of new spending and pet projects that will make the state of Wisconsin less competitive for business and limit individual freedom on issues as diverse as healthcare and education. In short, it is not a path forward for the state as we look to emerge from the devastating impact of the pandemic across the economy.
- Huge Spending Increases. At a time when Wisconsin families are having to tighten their belts, Governor Evers proposes a budget that grows spending by over 13% over the previous budget.
- Creates Ongoing Obligations. Evers’ budget creates 169 new programs with an appropriation, adds 364 new full-time equivalent employees and grows bonding by 90.5%.
- Attacks on School Choice. From charter schools to the state’s voucher programs, the budget will limit educational options for families at a time when they need them most.
- Harms Healthcare for Wisconsinites. The governor once again proposes Medicaid expansion, which will raise the cost of insurance for private payers and thrust many low-income families into government-run healthcare which produces worse outcomes.
- Attacks on Labor Freedom. The governor proposes a partial repeal of Act 10 and “Right to Work,” forcing people back into unions and raising the cost of government for taxpayers.
- 2021-23 Wisconsin Budget Brief, March 4, 2021
- 3 Attacks on School Choice in Governor Evers’ Budget Proposal, February 17, 2021