MADISON, Wis. — While Democrats are hard at work in negotiations to get across the finish line and pass the Build Back Better agenda and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal, Republicans in Congress have spent nearly nine months proving time and again that they have no interest in helping the people they were elected to serve.
In Wisconsin, Senator Ron Johnson and his Republican colleagues in the House have made it clear that their goal of obstruction for political gain will always trump every opportunity to help the Wisconsinites they are supposed to represent.
As Democrats like Sen. Tammy Baldwin fight tooth and nail to deliver for Wisconsin families, here are five questions the Wisconsin GOP must answer:
1. Why do Wisconsin’s GOP lawmakers continue to defend tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans and big corporations, which added billions to the national debt, but refuse to support tax cuts for middle-class families?
2. Data has shown that the expanded child tax credit has helped to slash the child poverty rate across the country and here in Wisconsin. So what do Republicans have to say for their opposition to providing $267 million in relief to the families of over one million Wisconsin children?
3. Why don’t Wisconsin Republicans want to lower health care costs for the American people? Because of the American Rescue Plan, Wisconsinites can save hundreds per month, with lower monthly premiums, if they receive coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Yet, zero Republicans from Wisconsin voted for the American Rescue Plan, and every one of them is still opposed to President Biden’s Build Back Better agenda.
4. Are Wisconsin Republicans like Ron Johnson prepared to bring down the bipartisan infrastructure bill in the hopes it will hurt Democrats and President Biden politically, even though there have been decades of bipartisan agreement that our nation needs to make critical new investments in infrastructure? The bipartisan infrastructure bill was approved by 19 Republicans in the Senate, including Mitch McConnell, yet Wisconsin’s GOP lawmakers continue to oppose it.
5. Why did Wisconsin Republicans like Rep. Tiffany vote against a critical pandemic relief bill which included checks in the pockets of American families, aid to small businesses, and resources to safely reopen schools in their districts?