MADISON, Wis. — Last week, Wisconsinites from across the state began receiving their monthly tax cut of up to $300 per child as part of President Joe Biden’s expanded Child Tax Credit. From child care and groceries to school uniforms and tutoring, families have already started using the tax credit to cover the costs of raising their children thanks to Democrats.
An estimated 1,159,000 children in Wisconsin will benefit from the Child Tax Credit and more than 46,000 kids will be lifted out of poverty. Yet, while reducing child poverty should never be a partisan issue, Republicans in Congress like Sen. Ron Johnson voted against putting more money in the pockets of working families.
Luckily, Wisconsin Democrats are working hard to make this tax cut permanent through the American Families Plan, a once-in-a-generation investment in children and families that extends the Child Tax Credit increases under Democrats’ American Rescue Plan.
Here’s what local leaders, policy experts, and parents are saying about Democrats’ expanded Child Tax Credit:
- Channel 3000: Lawmakers push to make child tax credit permanent
- Sen. Tammy Baldwin: “This historic tax relief will lift millions of children out of poverty and will help families across American build back better. Right now, we’re fighting hard to make this tax cut permanent.”
- Congresswoman Gwen Moore: “By expanding the Child Tax Credit, our nation took a step toward not only helping families recover from the pandemic, but lifting children across the country above the poverty line and strengthening the middle class.”
- State Rep. Shelia Stubbs of Madison: “The child tax credit will feed our children. It will put a roof over their heads, it will empower parents to support their children, it will support the children in a long, prosperous way.”
- Terry Lee, a father of three from Green Bay: “Because of this tax credit, we’ll also be able to not have to worry about putting food on the table, or the school supplies that we’re going to have to pay for in the upcoming months.”
- Greg and Jill Schams, parents and public school teachers from La Crosse: “We’re really, really thankful that President Biden and Wisconsin Democrats like Sen. Baldwin and Rep. Ron Kind [are] pushing with the American Families Plan to make this extension permanent.”
- Kayla Midthun, a parent from Eau Claire: “I’m grateful to Biden and Democrats in Congress who voted for this tax cut for families like mine.”
- Tamarine Cornelius of the Wisconsin Budget Project: “The improvements to the child credit made by the American Rescue Plan Act will make a significant difference for families and kids by making it easier to afford housing, food, clothing, child care, and health care.”