MADISON, Wis. — Recently, thanks to President Biden’s leadership, the United States reached a turning point in our battle against COVID-19 as the FDA authorized the emergency use of a safe, effective vaccine for children ages 5 through 11. This eagerly awaited authorization will mean reassurance for parents that their kids will be protected and help children stay safe in schools.
In response to this groundbreaking development, Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Ben Wikler released the following statement:
“Once again, President Biden has delivered for Wisconsin families. As a father of three, I’m breathing a sigh of relief knowing my children — and children in every corner of our state — will be protected as we move closer to beating the pandemic once and for all. Under Gov. Evers’ leadership, Wisconsin’s vaccine rollout became one of the best in the nation — earning praise even from Wisconsin Republicans — and we are confident that with this announcement, our state will continue to be on the right track to bounce back stronger than before.
“From his first day in office, President Biden led with science, facts, and compassion as our country tried to recover from the pandemic, and this monumental announcement is no different. From signing Democrats’ American Rescue Plan into law to partnering with Gov. Evers to provide the resources needed to get vaccines into millions of Wisconsinites’ arms to ensuring enough vaccine supply for every child in Wisconsin, President Biden and Governor Evers continue to deliver — and Wisconsinites are grateful.”
Background on President Biden’s vaccination program:
- The Biden administration has already secured enough vaccine supply for every child in America ages 5-11. So far, the Biden-Harris administration’s successful vaccination efforts have now helped 80% of adults in the United States receive one shot of the vaccine and nearly 70% of adults become fully vaccinated.
- Starting now and ramping up into coming weeks, doses will be available at approximately 20,000 locations around the country, and parents and guardians will be able to schedule appointments to get their kids their first shots.
- The White House is making vaccines available at hundreds of community health centers, rural health clinics, and thousands of pharmacies and schools in our hardest hit communities.
- And, the White House is sending out mobile units to reach people where they are.
- These efforts will also ensure that equity is at the center of our children’s vaccination program — as it has been with the administration’s program for adults.