(MADISON) — President Biden is delivering on his promise to help the people of Wisconsin through the COVID-19 crisis with a historic relief package, despite every single Republican in Wisconsin’s federal delegation, including Senator Ron Johnson, attempting to stand in the way. This week, as President Biden marks his 100th day in office, WisDems will be highlighting the ways in which President Biden has delivered for Wisconsinites — starting with the success he and Governor Evers have had with vaccinating Wisconsin.
Wisconsin has consistently ranked among the top states in the nation for vaccine distribution. More than 70 percent of Wisconsites aged 65 and older have been fully vaccinated, and more than half of all Wisconsinites have received at least one dose. Wisconsin’s vaccine distribution effort has been widely praised, including by Republican State House Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Devin LeMahieu.
President Biden’s American Rescue Plan has provided a huge boost in funding to get vaccines into Americans’ arms more quickly. The bill, which passed over opposition from every single Congressional Republican — and despite Ron Johnson’s attempt to single-handedly delay it— included $64.71 billion for improving vaccine administration and distribution, including $175.4 million for public health workforce development in Wisconsin.
“Strong Democratic leadership from President Joe Biden and Gov. Evers has made Wisconsin a national leader in vaccine distribution and put us on a path to ending this pandemic,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Ben Wikler. “Thanks to President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, Wisconsin has been able to access critical funding for vaccine distribution and public health and get more than 4 million shots into arms already. As we celebrate these 100 days of progress, we know we can’t afford to lose any momentum in our recovery. That’s why Democrats will continue to focus on creating jobs, investing in our infrastructure, and ensuring we build back better than ever.”
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: More than 50% of Wisconsin residents 16 and over have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose [April 21, 2021]
- WPR: How Wisconsin’s Vaccine Program Went From One Of Worst To Leading The Nation [April 9, 2021]
- Washington Post: How Wisconsin turned around its lagging vaccination program — and buoyed a Biden health pick [April 4, 2021]
- WPR: Wisconsin’s Vaccine Rollout Has Scored Well. Experts Say Mass Sites, Clear Messages Can Help In Next Phase [March 29, 2021]
- WPR: Wisconsin GOP Leaders Praise State’s COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout [March 24, 2021]
- Channel 3000: By some indicators, Wisconsin’s vaccine rollout remains one of the best in nation [March 4, 2021]
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Wisconsin moves to top of nation in daily COVID-19 vaccinations as plans for free clinics ramp up [February 9, 2021]