In the states this week, local news highlighted win after win for President Biden, Democrats, and the American people.
On Tuesday, Georgia reelected Senator Raphael Warnock to cap off historic midterm elections for the president and Democrats. With Tuesday night’s win, President Biden is the first president since FDR to not lose a single Senate seat.
- In Georgia: Georgia Recorder: Raphael Warnock wins U.S. Senate runoff, giving Democrats a 51-seat majority
Here’s what they’re reading about how President Biden has worked to help lower gas prices and how Americans are paying less at the pump than they were this time last year:
- In California: ABC 10 News San Diego: Gas prices now cheaper than this time a year ago
- In Florida: CBS Miami: US gas prices are now cheaper than they were a year ago
- In Maryland: CBS Baltimore: Some local gas prices fall under $3 per gallon as Maryland average drops 40 cents in a month
- In Michigan: Detroit Free Press: Michigan gas prices fall 20 cents in a week to $3.44, could go even lower as holidays near
- In New York: Spectrum News NY1: Average gas price drops lower than one year ago
- In North Carolina: Greensboro News & Record: Gas prices continue to drop in Greensboro and across North Carolina
- In Ohio: Times-Reporter: Christmas gift arrives in northern Ohio in the form of lower gas prices at the pump
- In South Carolina: WCBD: South Carolina gas prices fall below $3 for first time since December 2021
- In Wisconsin: Fox 11 News: Wisconsin’s recent drop in gas prices near the top in the U.S.
- In Virginia: WJLA: Gas prices now cheaper than they were a year ago, AAA says decline expected to continue
President Biden visited Phoenix, Arizona, to highlight how his economic agenda is sparking a wave of new good-paying manufacturing jobs across the country. During the visit, the president celebrated TSMC’s $40B investment in chip manufacturing, which will lead to thousands of manufacturing jobs supported by the CHIPS and Science Act; this passed thanks to President Biden and Democrats’ leadership and despite the majority of House and Senate Republicans who voted against it.
- Arizona Republic: Taiwan Semiconductor announces 2nd Phoenix factory during Biden visit. Company plans $40B investment
- Axios Phoenix: President Biden says American manufacturing is back as TSMC expands in Phoenix
- ABC 15 Arizona: President Biden visits Phoenix to highlight Arizona’s high-tech manufacturing industry
Also this week, Congressional Democrats sent the Respect for Marriage Act to President Biden’s desk – no thanks to the majority of Senate and House Republicans who voted against protecting Americans’ freedom to marry who they love.
- In Arkansas: Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette: U.S. House passes same-sex marriage protection legislation; Arkansas’ delegates vote against it
- In Alabama: Alabama Today: Gary Palmer votes against the Respect for Marriage Act
- In California: SFGate: These California Republicans voted against same-sex marriage protections
- In Florida: South Florida Sun Sentinel: 3 South Florida Republicans flip to vote ‘no’ on protection for same-sex and interracial marriages
- In North Carolina: Charlotte Observer: NC House Republicans vote against same-sex, interracial marriage as bill passes Congress
- In Oklahoma: News on 6: Oklahoma Senators Vote Against Respect For Marriage Act
- In Tennessee: Nashville Scene: Nashville’s New Congressional Representatives Vote Against Gay Marriage