MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is adjusting the hours of operation at the C.W. Caywood Shooting Range at Vilas County.
The Caywood range, located on U.S. Highway 51 at Woodruff, will be open the three days from 7 a.m. to sunset, starting Aug. 1 and ending Oct. 31. The adjusted hours reflect the department’s dedication to its top priority – safety.
“The weekend-only hours provide safe shooting opportunities for the public,” said James Yach, DNR Secretary Director for Northern Wisconsin. “The new hours are in partnership with the adjacent gravel pit which is required to operate Monday through Thursday.”
Shooters may only shoot at the placed target stands provided by the DNR, with their paper targets attached. The range rules are posted on site and users will be expected to read and follow the instructions.
- 100-Yard Range: Rifle shooting only from the provided shooting benches. (No handguns on this range or thrown clay target shooting. Sighting-in of shotgun slug or turkey guns is permitted.)
- 25-Yard Range: Handguns and rifles allowed.
- Clay Shotgun Range will remain closed for safety reasons.
To report unsafe shooting practices, contact the Vilas County Sheriff ‘s Office or contact the Wisconsin DNR Tip Line, 1-800-847-9367. Information can be shared confidentially with trained dispatchers.
Check the DNR’s Shooting Range webpage and individual range websites for current operations before visiting a range.
C.W. CAYWOOD SHOOTING RANGE HOURS OF OPERATION:
- May 1 – Oct. 31: Friday through Sunday, 7 a.m. to sunset.
- Nov. 1 – April 30: Open Daily, 7 a.m. to sunset.