MADISON — Today, as part of National Dairy Month, State Treasurer and candidate for U.S. Senate Sarah Godlewski traveled to Belleville to tour a family dairy farm and discuss the challenges that rural Wisconsinites and family farms are facing.
“Wisconsin is proud to be the Dairyland state, and for decades we have led the nation in dairy production, but unfortunately in recent years, Wisconsin has consistently led the nation in farm bankruptcies,” said Sarah Godlewski. “Our family farmers need someone who will show up, listen, and be their voice in the Senate and on the Agriculture Committee in Washington – and that’s exactly what I’ll do.”
Sarah has led the field on rural and agricultural issues, in January she was the first candidate to release a comprehensive plan focused on Wisconsin’s rural communities. As part of the five point plan, Sarah focused on investing in Wisconsin family farms by:
- Raising Wisconsin farmers’ profile in Washington.
- Addressing the antiquated dairy pricing system
- Fighting for federal antitrust enforcement and fighting back against the anti-competitive practices
- Supporting the next generation of farmers
- Fostering partnerships between communities and farmers to eliminate food deserts
- Addressing the farmers’ mental health crisis
Read the full plan here.