The Wisconsin Historical Society announces the listing of the Schroeder–Bohrod House, located in Monona, Dane County, on the State Register of Historic Places. State Historic Preservation Officer Daina Penkiunas presents a certificate to Dennis and Victoria Hull, owners of the Schroeder House.
The Otto and Louise Schroeder House, completed in 1932, is architecturally significant as a Tudor Revival style single-family residence with a detached garage and studio. The house is also significant for its historic associations with artist Aaron Bohrod. The Schroeder House is positioned on high ground overlooking Lake Monona and is clad in limestone, stucco and false half-timber work. The house was the largest and finest Tudor Revival style house in the Madison area when it was constructed for Otto Schroeder, a prominent Madison undertaker, and his family. It was designed by Frank M. Riley, a Madison architect who was then at the peak of his career.
Aaron Bohrod purchased the house in 1959 when he was Artist-in-Residence at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He engaged architect Herbert Fritz Jr. to add a second story to the property’s free-standing garage building, creating a studio that Bohrod used until his death in 1992. Before arriving at the university, Bohrod had gained a national reputation as a Regionalist and Social-Realist style painter. While at UW he turned to creating meticulous, precisely detailed trompe l’oeil (fool-the-eye) paintings for which he is still best known today.
The State Register is Wisconsin’s official list of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin’s heritage. The State Historic Preservation Office at the Wisconsin Historical Society administers both the State Register and National Register in Wisconsin.
Additional information for the Schroeder House is available at
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit: www.wisconsinhistory.org.