MADISON, Wis. — Ron Johnson’s long record of working to overturn Roe v. Wade and take away Wisconsinites’ right to make their own health care decisions is clear. Johnson called the decision that effectively ended abortion in Wisconsin a “really good decision,” and told people to “move” if they don’t agree with the law and need to access abortion services.
“From repeatedly bragging about his role in effectively ending abortion access in Wisconsin to flippantly telling women to move if they don’t agree, Ron Johnson has proven that he will not stand up for Wisconsinites’ rights. Wisconsin voters know Johnson’s real record of stripping away their reproductive freedom and are going to hold him accountable in November,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Senate Communications Advisor Philip Shulman.
Here are the facts about Johnson’s long record of working to end abortion rights:
- “Roe and Casey were so poorly decided. This is a really good decision, this is what should have happened 50 years ago.” [Clay & Buck Show, 5/05/22]
- Ron Johnson said “[he’s] fully supportive of what the Supreme Court did” and that “[he] obviously confirmed the justices that handed down that correct decision.” [Brian Kilmeade Show, 7/13/22]
- “I don’t view [overturning Roe] such a huge threat to women’s health. I think – I think things would be just fine.” [Johnson visits Beloit Health System, 7/27/18]
- Ron Johnson called the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade a “victory.” [@SenRonJohnson, 6/24/22]
- “Johnson, who has supported bills limiting access to abortions, on Tuesday went further than some Republicans have since the opinion leaked. He said in a statement that if the draft ruling overturning Roe v. Wade becomes final, ‘I would agree with that outcome.’” [Associated Press, 5/05/22]
- Johnson: Abortion Will “Be A Little Messy For Some People” When Roe Is Overturned [Madison.com, 5/11/22]