Take an in-depth look into Wisconsin’s exciting and historic sturgeon spearing tradition with the help of Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine. / Cover Photo Credit: David Nevala
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced that the winter issue of Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine is now available in print and online.
The magazine takes an in-depth look at the exciting and historic sturgeon spearing tradition that takes place every winter on Lake Winnebago, which happens only in Wisconsin.
The issue also sheds light on the many aquatic invasive species lurking under the ice and what you can do to stop the spread while ice fishing.
Tag along on a black bear den survey and see how the DNR tracks bear populations.
Embrace the cold and find your winter adventure by checking out a list of beautiful snowmobile trails around the state, and make sure you’re geared up for winter by reviewing winter driving tips from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
Learn about the effects of climate change on Wisconsin’s wine-making industry, plus find a mulled wine recipe for a delicious winter warmer.
Other great content in this issue includes:
- Endangered Resources Fund: Learn how your donation helps the state’s vulnerable plant and wildlife species and state natural areas.
- You otter know: Winter weather doesn’t bother otters; find out more about these hard-to-spot creatures.
- Expanding access for all: Pittman-Robertson money, excise taxes paid by hunters when they buy gear, helps fund conservation and ensure access to the outdoors.
- Back in the Day: The history of Wisconsin’s Interstate State Park includes an extraordinary tale of a once-splendid estate and vibrant country club on the property.
- Fun with holiday cleanup: Recycle holiday paper this season by turning it into a fun craft project for kids.
As a bonus, the print edition of the Winter issue includes the 2023 Friends of Wisconsin State Parks calendar, featuring winning images from the Friends’ annual state parks photo contest.
The winter issue of Wisconsin Natural Resources is available online. For the print issue, there’s no better time to subscribe or give as a gift with a special holiday rate: five issues for just $5 through Jan. 2, 2024. Subscribe online or call 1-800-678-9472.