GREEN BAY, WI — Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI), Chairman of the Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party, today hosted the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s IP Road Show in Green Bay. During the event, participants discussed how small businesses in Northeast Wisconsin can better protect and enforce their intellectual property (IP) in China and the United States.
“Northeast Wisconsin businesses of all sizes are on the front line of our economic and technological competition with China. But all too often, our local businesses don’t know what tools are available to them when dealing with issues ranging from counterfeiting to intellectual property theft. Today’s event brought together local businesses and experts from the U.S. Patent and Trade Office and numerous other federal agencies to help ensure businesses and entrepreneurs have the information they need to push back against the Chinese Communist Party’s economic aggression against us,” said Rep. Gallagher.
The event featured remarks from industry experts and seasoned practitioners and covered a wide range of topics, including:
- What businesses need to know about protecting all types of IP in China,
- IP developments in China: Challenges and opportunities in a shifting IP environment,
- Enforcing IP rights, in both China and the United States, against infringement originating in China,
- U.S. government resources for U.S. companies, and
- IP and China: The Wisconsin experience, featuring representatives from a wide variety of businesses in the Green Bay area who will share their unique experiences.
During the event, Rep. Gallagher delivered keynote remarks and moderated a panel of Northeast Wisconsin businesses, which featured testimony about a variety of challenges local businesses are facing, from apparel trademark infringement to efforts to undermine IP rights in the biohealth and AI sectors. Participants included:
- Erik Iverson, CEO, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation
- Ben Wolfgram, Co-Founder, BenShot
- Aaron Popkey, Director of Public Affairs, Green Bay Packers
- Nathan Davis, Legal Director, Patent and Intellectual Property Litigation, Whirlpool Corporation/Insinkerator
- Al Cheslock, Partner, Michael Best & Friedrich, LLC, Manitowoc
Any individual or business seeking more information or assistance with IP issues should contact Rep. Gallagher’s office at (920) 301-4500.