WASHINGTON, D.C. — Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI), a member of the House Armed Services Committee and House Intelligence Committee, today released the following statement after voting for a $14.3 emergency aid package for Israel. The package included critical support for Israel’s Iron Dome system and funds to help replenish U.S. defense stockpiles.
“From college campuses to international forums, there’s a growing attempt to blame Israel for Hamas’ heinous attack against them. This underscores why it’s critical we stand with Israel and ensure they have the tools, resources, and support they need to defend themselves. Delivering this lethal assistance is an important step towards doing so and ensures that both Israel’s Iron Dome and our domestic defense stockpiles are replenished. But this is just a start. Beyond lethal aid, President Biden must impose a maximum pressure campaign against Hamas and its primary patron, Iran. He should do so by finally enforcing sanctions on Hamas for its use of human shields, re-freezing the $6 billion ransom payment he made to Iran, and abandoning his obsession with reviving the Iran Nuclear Deal.”
Gallagher has taken a number of actions to help support Israel after Hamas’ barbaric attack on October 7, such as:
- Introducing the Strengthening Tools to Counter the Use of Human Shields Act to improve the implementation and enforcement of sanctions against terrorist organizations and other malign actors that use innocent civilians as human shields, a tactic Hamas is currently using with Israeli hostages after their horrific attacks.
- Leading nearly 100 of his colleagues in sending a bipartisan letter to President Biden urging him to take specific actions that would prevent Iran from accessing billions of dollars to further subsidize the horrific Hamas terrorist attacks against Israel.
- Supporting the United States-Israel Future of Warfare Act, which if passed would require the Department of Defense to establish the United States-Israel Future of Warfare Research and Development Fund. This fund would encourage collaborative defense projects between the United States and Israel for both nations to meet emerging defense challenges.
- Supporting the Stop Harboring Iranian Petroleum (SHIP) Act, that if passed would impose additional sanctions on Iran, a regime that openly sponsors terror.
- Introducing legislation alongside Rep. August Pfluger (R-TX), Republican Study Committee Chairman Kevin Hern (R-OK), and Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) to block Iran from accessing the $6 billion in funds released by the Biden Administration in September.