WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Bryan Steil (WI-01) released a statement after voting to pass H.R. 2, the Secure the Border Act.
“We must secure our border. There is a drug and human trafficking crisis that we cannot continue to ignore. This strong border security legislation ensures our border patrol is equipped with the resources they need, helps prevent illicit fentanyl from coming into our communities, and strengthens our national security. I will continue working to keep our communities safe and secure our nation’s borders.”
H.R. 2, the Secure the Border Act, would:
- Deploy technology to the southern and northern border
- Increase the number of border patrol agents and provide bonus pay
- Strengthen current law to protect unaccompanied children from human trafficking
- Strengthen and streamline the asylum process
- Restart border wall construction
- Increase transparency regarding illegal crossings from the Department of Homeland Security
To read the full text of the bill, click here.