WisDOT thanks residents, businesses and the public for their continued patience.
Construction crews recently completed the first of three construction phases during Stage 2 of the Verona Road (US 18/151) Project in Fitchburg. Stage 2 construction includes the reconstruction and expansion of Verona Road, between Raymond Road and County PD/McKee Road, including interchanges at County PD and Williamsburg Way.
Over the past several months during Phase 1, crews constructed future interchange ramps at County PD (McKee Road) and Williamsburg Way as well as reconstructed local roadways adjacent to Verona Road. The East Frontage Road, between Sprocket Drive and Chalet Gardens Road, will reopen to traffic this afternoon (August 24). A new roadway through the Wingra quarry will also open this afternoon, which connects Kapec Road to County PD.
Access continues to remain open to area businesses and neighborhoods throughout construction. The public is encouraged to continue to patronize the local businesses in the project area.
Some landscaping and restoration activities will be completed this fall. Motorists are reminded to be alert for crews and equipment, and drive with caution through all work zones.
This $23.5 million phase of construction was completed by Speedway Sand & Gravel, Inc. based out of Middleton.
After Labor Day, crews will begin Stage 2/Phase 2 work which includes:
- Reconstruction of Verona Road south of County PD (including the County PD interchange);
- Construction of the westbound interchange ramps between County PD and Raymond Road;
- Construction of the Willamsburg Way bridge over Verona Road; and
- Reconstruction of Verona Road south of Raymond Road.
Phase 2 is anticipated to be completed in summer 2019, weather permitted.
As Phase 2 nears completion, crews will start Stage 2/Phase 3 work which is scheduled to begin in spring 2019. Phase 3 activities include:
- Reconstruction and expansion of Verona Road to three lanes between Raymond Road and County PD;
- Construction the Verona Road bridges over County PD; and
- Reconstruction and expansion County PD to three lanes from Hard Rock Road to Commerce Park Drive.
The entire Verona Road Project is currently scheduled to be completed in fall 2020.
The public is strongly encouraged to register for weekly construction updates via email on the Verona Road Project website,www.VeronaRoadProject.wi.gov. You can also follow the project on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WIVeronaRoadProject.