Back home for recess over the past two weeks, Republicans were met with ads, events, and headlines in battleground states across the country making sure that Americans know about their plan that could raise taxes on more than half the country and sunset Social Security and Medicare in five years.
Here’s a look at some of what Republicans saw during their trips home the past two weeks:
ADS: Ahead of Tax Day on April 18, the DNC launched a digital ad buy in key states targeted to Google searches for tax services. The ads reminded voters in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Nevada of Senate Republicans’ plan that could raise taxes on half of Americans.
- Fox News: DNC launches tax day ad buy in key states, claiming a GOP tax plan could ‘raise taxes’
- Washington Post: Noted: With a new ad, DNC seeks to turn the tables on Sen. Rick Scott
- NBC News: Ahead of Tax Day, DNC launches ad campaign spotlighting one GOP tax proposal
- Florida: Florida Politics: DNC continues to tar Republicans with Rick Scott tax hike pitch
- North Carolina: MyFox8: Democrats release digital ad in N.C. to address GOP tax ideas
- Arizona: Arizona Daily Mirror: Dems launch Tax Day ad campaign in Arizona to highlight GOP’s proposed tax increases
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Capital-Star: Wednesday Morning Coffee
- Georgia: Atlanta Journal-Constitution: The Jolt
EVENTS: Ahead of and on Tax Day, Democratic state parties in Wisconsin, and Florida held events outside of Ron Johnson and Rick Scott’s offices to make sure the Republican senators’ constituents know they have a plan to raise taxes, while Georgia Democrats criticized the Georgia GOP for embracing Rick Scott despite his Republican agenda of tax hikes. After Tax Day, in Pennsylvania, local Democrats criticized the Republican plan that could sunset Medicare and Social Security that millions rely on.
- Wisconsin: CBS Madison: Republicans Pushing to Raise WI Taxes 32%
- Wisconsin: Fox Green Bay: Tax Day Rally Outside of Sen. Ron Johnson’s Office
- Wisconsin: Up North News: Ron Johnson says GOP plan to raise taxes, eliminate social security “a positive thing”
- Pennsylvania: WHTM: PA Democrats Blast GOP Plans
- Pennsylvania: WGAL: Democrats Lambast Tax Plan of GOP Senators
- Florida: FL Dems: Florida Democratic Party Hosts Tax Day Press Conference Outside Rick Scott’s Office to Slam GOP Tax Hike
- Georgia: Georgia Democrats: Congressman Johnson, Georgia Democrats Call Out Republicans’ Plans to Raise Taxes on Hardworking Georgians, Sunset Social Security and Medicare
HEADLINES: While they were home the past two weeks, Republicans couldn’t run from headlines pinning their disastrous agenda on them. Turns out, people don’t like it when you say you’re going to raise their taxes.
- Wisconsin: Up North News: Ron Johnson Thinks a GOP Plan for Tax Increases and the Potential End of Medicare and Social Security Is a ‘Positive Thing’
- Wisconsin: Wisconsin Examiner: Ron Johnson’s tax rebellion
- Wisconsin: Milwaukee Courier: Everyday Wisconsinites Shouldn’t Have to Pick Up the Tab For Ron Johnson’s Tax Handouts
- Pennsylvania: City and State Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Democrats are working to lower costs while Republicans push tax hikes
- Florida: Palm Beach Post: Op-Ed: Rick Scott tax plan bad news for retirees
- North Carolina: IndyWeekly: Op-Ed: On Tax Day, a Look At Who Really Wants to Raise Taxes on Working Families